Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Day 2 - Idaho Falls, ID

This morning started off right with breakfast at the Holiday Inn! Steph doesn't normally eat breakfast, but she joined me anyway and did her best to eat a bowl of cereal. We then packed up the car and headed to radio shack to pick up a new battery for my dads medium format camera I brought. Can't wait to use it! It was then time to hit the road for Idaho Falls. The next trek was going to be about 6.5hrs long with a stop in Salt Lake.

My obsession with Patagonia was finally satisfied today when Steph and I spent a good hour and a half at their outlet in Salt Lake. My dad use to travel to Salt Lake when we were young and would buy us jackets from this outlet at a great price. Their jackets are so expensive and I couldn't wait to find a great deal myself. Yes I am truly my fathers daughter, I can't pass up a deal! We both were in awe at all of the great jackets at such amazing prices. After shopping we were famished and decided to hit up a local diner for lunch. Steph had a delicious burger and I had an egg salad sandwich. I know...I know...I know...for those of you who I have complained to about my high cholesterol...I understand I shouldn't be eating eggs and steak and all the other crap, but you know what...I am on vacation! We also indulged ourselves by having a yummy stawberry shortcake dessert served in a chile dish.

After our long 2.5hr stop in Salt Lake we hit the road again. We didn't quit have enogh gas to make it all the way to our final stop, so we pulled over in Blackfoot to get gas. When we stepped out of the car it was so windy! Santa Ana winds windy...ahhh!!!..but not to worry...Steph immediately reminded me of my latest purchase at Patagonia. So I pulled my wonderful "Regulator Fleece" out of the trunk and to my amazement it was also windproof! We then made it to Idaho Falls in no time at all. We checked in to our Best Western Hotel and decided to grab some dinner before everything closed. These small towns we are staying in shut down pretty early so we drove around looking for something to eat right away, but we were surprised to see the beautiful Idaho Falls and had to stop to take photos before eating. The small downtown area wasn't happening, but we found a small dive bar that had plenty of cars parked outside. When we walked in we were hoping to find lots of people and possibly food. We had no luck with the food, but we did leave with the pleasant smell of smoke on our clothes and an excellent recommendation for dinner. We made our way over to "Frosty Gators". The busiest place in town hands down. A sports bar with plenty of locals not bothering to watch any of the NBA playoff games. Seems they aren't too interested in the Lakers up here, but they do enjoy their beer and music. I knew it would be a good place to eat and drink since they were playing Pearl Jam as we walked in. Dinner wasn't to exciting for me, but Steph's "Surf Tacos" made with grilled ahi were certainly a winner. My "Dead Guy" beer however was yummy! Steph stuck to a light beer "Shock Top" with a slice of orange.

Tomorrow we are off to the Grand Tetons! Can't wait! We will be in touch soon dear family and friends : )
Posted by:
Nicki/Nicole

2 comments:

  1. you know patagonia is right here in ventura and we have an outlet right down the street...

    ReplyDelete
  2. your new jacket is a regulator? mount up!!!!

    and pearl jam playing as you walked in? that made my day. :-)

    ReplyDelete